Explore the robust features of Python to create real-world ArcGIS applications through exciting, hands-on projects
About This Book
- Get to grips with the big world of Python add-ins and wxPython in GUI development to implement their features in your application
- Integrate advanced Python libraries, ArcPy mapping, and data access module techniques to develop a mapping application
- Construct a top-notch intermediate-to-advanced project by accessing ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online resources through the ArcGIS REST API using a project-based approach
Who This Book Is For
If you have prior experience building simple apps with ArcGIS and now have a fancy for developing a more challenging and complex desktop application in ArcGIS, then this book is ideal for you.
What You Will Learn
- Automate the creation of creative output data visualizations including maps, charts, and graphs
- Explore ways to use the ArcPy Mapping module and Data-driven Pages to automate the creation of map books in your own project
- Develop applications that use the Plotly platform and library to create stunning charts and graphs that can be integrated into ArcGIS Desktop
- Build tools that access REST services and download data to a local geodatabase
- Design, build, and integrate advanced GUIs with wxPython and ArcGIS Desktop in ArcGIS
- Get clued up about constructing applications that export data to Google Earth Pro to automate time-consuming complex processes
- Maximize the access of ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online using the ArcGIS REST API with Python
This book is an immersive guide to take your ArcGIS Desktop application development skills to the next level
It starts off by providing detailed description and examples of how to create ArcGIS Desktop Python toolboxes that will serve as containers for many of the applications that you will build. We provide several practical projects that involve building a local area/community map and extracting wildfire data. You will then learn how to build tools that can access data from ArcGIS Server using the ArcGIS REST API. Furthermore, we deal with the integration of additional open source Python libraries into your applications, which will help you chart and graph advanced GUI development; read and write JSON, CSV, and XML format data sources; write outputs to Google Earth Pro, and more. Along the way, you will be introduced to advanced ArcPy Mapping and ArcPy Data Access module techniques and use data-driven Pages to automate the creation of map books.
Finally, you will learn advanced techniques to work with video and social media feeds. By the end of the book, you will have your own desktop application without having spent too much time learning sophisticated theory.
Style and approach
This is an easy-to-follow, project-based guide that guides you through the whole ArcGIS theme with practical, real-world examples and a systematic approach.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||26.3 MB|
|Publisher: ||Packt Publishing|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||9781785283628 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|