Biotechnology for Beginners, Second Edition, presents the latest information and developments from the field of biotechnology-the applied science of using living organisms and their by-products for commercial development-which has grown and evolved to such an extent over the past few years that increasing numbers of professionals work in areas that are directly impacted by the science. For the first time, this book offers an exciting and colorful overview of biotechnology for professionals and students in a wide array of the life sciences, including genetics, immunology, biochemistry, agronomy, and animal science.
This book also appeals to the lay reader without a scientific background who is interested in an entertaining and informative introduction to the key aspects of biotechnology. Authors Renneberg and Demain discuss the opportunities and risks of individual technologies and provide historical data in easy-to-reference boxes, highlighting key topics. The book covers all major aspects of the field, from food biotechnology to enzymes, genetic engineering, viruses, antibodies, and vaccines, to environmental biotechnology, transgenic animals, analytical biotechnology, and the human genome. This stimulating book is the most user-friendly source for a comprehensive overview of this complex field.
- Provides accessible content to the lay reader who does not have an extensive scientific background
- Includes all facets of biotechnology applications
- Covers articles from the most respected scientists, including Alan Guttmacher, Carl Djerassi, Frances S. Ligler, Jared Diamond, Susan Greenfield, and more
- Contains a summary, annotated references, links to useful web sites, and appealing review questions at the end of each chapter
- Presents more than 600 color figures and over 100 illustrations
- Written in an enthusiastic and engaging style unlike other existing theoretical and dry-style biotechnology books
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||136.6 MB|
|Publisher: ||Academic Press|
|Date published: || 2017|
|ISBN: ||2370007690053 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|