Over 50 hands-on recipes to help you build exhilarating games using the robust GameMaker system
About This Book
- Design and develop game elements that can be used alone or stacked to enhance your gaming experience
- Explore extensions that can unlock GameMaker: Studio's true potential to create complex games
- A recipe-based, easy-to-follow guide to take your GameMaker skills to the next level
Who This Book Is For
This book is intended for GameMaker: Studio enthusiasts who are looking to add more substance and improve their content. If know your way around the program and have some basic GML skills but want to take them further, then this book is for you.
What You Will Learn
- Set up player control schemes of various types, such as touch controls and a gamepad
- Create your own physics sandbox
- Get accustomed to advanced player movement
- Implement music and 3D sound in your games
- Utilize GameMaker's GUI layers to create exciting games
- Generate adjustable game settings and save systems
- Add depth to your game with lighting and special effects
GameMaker: Studio started off as a tool capable of creating simple games using a drag-and-drop interface. Since then, it has grown to become a powerful instrument to make release-ready games for PC, Mac, mobile devices, and even current-gen consoles. GameMaker is designed to allow its users to develop games without having to learn any of the complex programming languages such as C++ or Java. It also allows redistribution across multiple platforms.
This book teaches you to harness GameMaker: Studio's full potential and take your game development to new heights.
It begins by covering the basics and lays a solid foundation for advanced GameMaker concepts. Moving on, it covers topics such as controls, physics, and advanced movement, employing a strategic approach to the learning curve. The book concludes by providing insights into complex concepts such as the GUI, menus, save system, lighting, particles, and VFX.
By the end of the book, you will be able to design games using GameMaker: Studio and implement the same techniques in other games you intend to design.
Style and approach
A problem-solving guide that teaches you the construction of game elements and mechanics to be integrated in games for rapid prototyping. Each overall topic includes several individual recipes taught through step-by-step instructions, and in-depth follow-up with examples.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||4.6 MB|
|Publisher: ||Packt Publishing|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||9781784397135 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|