Internationalize Your iOS Apps for a Global Audience
Sixty percent of iPhone users worldwide aren't native English speakers, half of the Top 10 iOS app markets are non-English speaking, and app revenue in Asia is soaring while North American growth is flattening. Internationalizing your apps will make your worldwide customer base happy and give you a powerful competitive advantage in the global marketplace. Now, iOS expert Shawn Larson brings together all the knowledge you need to do it.
Larson takes information previously scattered across dozens of blog posts, tutorials, and book chapters and integrates it into one easy-to-navigate resource. He presents step-by-step coverage and practical code for controlling international settings, character encoding, locale and localization, UI adjustments, App Store customizations, and more. You'll find a sample project in every chapter—including a major three-chapter project guiding you through several key stages of app internationalization.
- Customizing language, region, and locale settings, including date, time, currency, quotation marks, separators, and more
- Working with character sets, including Unicode and ligatures
- Coding for locale with NSLocale and locale-specific arguments
- Systematically prepping your app for localization
- Leveraging the full power of base localization
- Generating dot-strings files and working with their key-value pairs
- Localizing images and app names
- Effectively using translation services—and avoiding the pitfalls
- Adjusting your UI to avoid clipped strings in longer languages
- Using constraint settings to support right-to-left languages
- Specifying App Store supported territories and pricing tiers
- Localizing your App Store summary page: name, descriptions, keywords, URLs, screenshots, and EULAs
If you're an experienced Objective-C developer, iOS Internationalization will help you expand your iOS market worldwide and capture opportunities that would otherwise be far beyond your grasp.
All sample code and completed projects may be downloaded at github.com/ShawnLa-i18n.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||8.5 MB|
|Publisher: ||Addison-Wesley Professional|
|Date published: || 2014|
|ISBN: ||9780134037790 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Copying:||of 30 selections every 30 days allowed|
|Printing:||of 30 pages every 30 days allowed|
|Read Aloud: ||allowed|
|This ebook will NOT be sold to customers with a billing address in:|
|Afghanistan, Algeria, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegowina, Congo, Congo (The Democratic Republic of the), Cote D'Ivoire, Cuba, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Iraq, Korea (Democratic People's Republic of), Liberia, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Macedonia (The Former Yugoslav Republic of), Myanmar, Nigeria, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Zimbabwe|