About This Book
- Learn the core features of libGDX to develop your own exciting games
- Explore game development concepts through example projects
- Target games for major app stores quickly and easily with libGDX's cross-platform functionality
Who This Book Is For
This book is intended for those who wish to learn the concepts of game development using LibGDX. An understanding of Java and other programming languages would definitely be helpful, although this is not a must.
What You Will Learn
- Create and configure a LibGDX project to get started with making games
- Get to grips with a simple game loop that will drive your games
- Manage game assets to reduce code duplication and speed up development
- Pack game assets together into single assets to increase your game's performance
- Display textures on the screen and manipulate them with play input
- Play various types of sounds that a game can generate
- Design and modify a game user interface with LibGDX's built-in tools
- Develop a game that will run across various platforms
LibGDX is a cross-platform game development framework in Java that makes game programming easier and fun to do. It currently supports Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Android, and HTML5.
This book starts with a simple game through which the game update cycle is explained, including loading textures onto your screen, moving them around, and responding to input. From there, you'll move on to more advanced concepts such as creating a formal game structure with a menu screen, adding a game screen and loading screen, sprite sheets, and animations. You'll explore how to introduce a font to optimize text, and with the help of a game that you'll create, you'll familiarize yourself with the 2D Tile Map API to create worlds that scroll as the characters move.
Finally, you will discover how to integrate third-party services into games and take a sneak peak at the Social Media API to get a basic understanding of how it fits into the LibGDX ecosystem.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||3.3 MB|
|Publisher: ||Packt Publishing|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||9781785288845 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|