Literacy is a perennial 'hot topic' in Britain and other English-speaking countries. Concerns about falling standards and a 'literacy crisis' are frequently raised. In response, governments initiate new policies and teaching guidelines. This book addresses the current policies, practices and media debates in England, the US, Scotland and Australia. Literacy and Education examines:
- How literacy is taught to children in primary schools;
- The place of phonics in current policies and the arguments made for and against it;
- How teachers deliver phonics lessons and how children engage with the method;
- The range of literacy practices children engage with throughout the school day and how they contribute to literacy learning;
- The contributions a social and critical perspective on literacy can make to current debates regarding teaching strategies;
- A wide range of research conducted in the UK, North America, Australia and other countries.
Bringing together policy, practice and public debate and drawing on the author's extensive research in a primary school, this essential new textbook provides questions and tasks for readers to engage with. Literacy and Education is ideal for advanced undergraduate and postgraduate students of literacy and education and students on PGCE courses. It will also be of interest to researchers and teachers.
|Size: ||724 KB|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||9781317423041 (EPUB)|