Modern Greece is an updated and enhanced edition of a classic survey of Greek history since the beginning of the 19th century. Giving equal weighting to social, political and diplomatic aspects, it offers detailed coverage of the formation of the Greek nation state, the global Greek diaspora, the country's relationships with Europe and the United States and a range of other topics, including women, rural areas, nationalism and the Civil War, woven together in a nuanced and highly readable narrative. Fresh material and new pedagogical features have been added throughout, most notably:
- new chapters on 19th-century nationalism and 'Boom to Bust in the Age of Globalization, 1989-2013';
- greater discussion of the late Ottoman context, Greeks outside of Greece and the international background to the Greek state formation;
- revisions to take account of recent scholarship, Greekscholarship ;
- new timelines, maps, illustrations, charts, figures and primary source boxes;
- an updated further reading section and bibliography.
Modern Greece is a crucial text for anyone looking to understand the complex history of this now troubled nation and its place in the Balkans, Europe and the modern globalized world.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||6.1 MB|
|Publisher: ||Bloomsbury Academic|
|Date published: || 2016|
|ISBN: ||9781472567581 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|