Leverage the power of Wireshark to troubleshoot your networking issues by using effective packet analysis techniques and performing improved protocol analysis
About This Book
- Gain hands-on experience of troubleshooting errors in TCP/IP and SSL protocols through practical use cases
- Identify and overcome security flaws in your network to get a deeper insight into security analysis
- This is a fast-paced book that focuses on quick and effective packet captures through practical examples and exercises
Who This Book Is For
If you are a network or system administrator who wants to effectively capture packets, a security consultant who wants to audit packet flows, or a white hat hacker who wants to view sensitive information and remediate it, this book is for you. This book requires decoding skills and a basic understanding of networking.
What You Will Learn
- Utilize Wireshark's advanced features to analyze packet captures
- Locate the vulnerabilities in an application server
- Get to know more about protocols such as DHCPv6, DHCP, DNS, SNMP, and HTTP with Wireshark
- Capture network packets with tcpdump and snoop with examples
- Find out about security aspects such as OS-level ARP scanning
- Set up 802.11 WLAN captures and discover more about the WAN protocol
- Enhance your troubleshooting skills by understanding practical TCP/IP handshake and state diagrams
Wireshark provides a very useful way to decode an RFC and examine it. The packet captures displayed in Wireshark give you an insight into the security and flaws of different protocols, which will help you perform the security research and protocol debugging.
The book starts by introducing you to various packet analyzers and helping you find out which one best suits your needs. You will learn how to use the command line and the Wireshark GUI to capture packets by employing filters. Moving on, you will acquire knowledge about TCP/IP communication and its use cases. You will then get an understanding of the SSL/TLS flow with Wireshark and tackle the associated problems with it. Next, you will perform analysis on application-related protocols. We follow this with some best practices to analyze wireless traffic. By the end of the book, you will have developed the skills needed for you to identify packets for malicious attacks, intrusions, and other malware attacks.
Style and approach
This is an easy-to-follow guide packed with illustrations and equipped with lab exercises to help you reproduce scenarios using a sample program and command lines.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||19.2 MB|
|Publisher: ||Packt Publishing|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||9781785885846 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|