Philosophy for Everyone begins by explaining what philosophy is before exploring the questions and issues at the foundation of this important subject.
Key topics in this new edition and their areas of focus include:
- Moral philosophy - the nature of our moral judgments and reactions, whether they aim at some objective moral truth, or are mere personal or cultural preferences; and the possibility of moral responsibility given the sorts of things that cause behavior;
- Political philosophy - fundamental questions about the nature of states and their relationship to the citizens within those states
- Epistemology - what our knowledge of the world and ourselves consists in, and how we come to have it; and whether we should form beliefs by trusting what other people tell us;
- Philosophy of mind - what it means for something to have a mind, and how minds should be understood and explained;
- Philosophy of science - foundational conceptual issues in scientific research and practice, such as whether scientific theories are true; and
- Metaphysics - fundamental questions about the nature of reality, such as whether we have free will, or whether time travel is possible.
This book is designed to be used in conjunction with the free 'Introduction to Philosophy' MOOC (massive open online course) created by the University of Edinburgh's Eidyn research centre, and hosted by the Coursera platform (www.coursera.org/course/introphil).
This book is also highly recommended for anyone looking for a short overview of this fascinating discipline.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||1.0 MB|
|Date published: || 2016|
|ISBN: ||9781315449753 (DRM-PDF)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|