An Ideal Source for Geologists and Others with Little Background in Engineering or Mechanics
Practical Rock Mechanics provides an introduction for graduate students as well as a reference guide for practicing engineering geologists and geotechnical engineers. The book considers fundamental geological processes that give rise to the nature of rock masses and control their mechanical behavior. Stresses in the earth's crust are discussed and methods of measurement and prediction explained. Ways to investigate, describe, test, and characterize rocks in the laboratory and at project scale are reviewed. The application of rock mechanics principles to the design of engineering structures including tunnels, foundations, and slopes is addressed. The book is illustrated throughout with simple figures and photographs, and important concepts are illustrated by modern case examples. Mathematical equations are kept to the minimum necessary and are explained fully-the book leans towards practice rather than theory.
- Addresses the principles of rock mechanics as it applies to both structural geology and engineering practice
- Demonstrates the importance of and methods of geological characterisation to rock engineering
- Examines the standard methods of rock mechanics testing and measurement as well as interpretation of data in practice
- Explains connections between main parameters both empirically as well as on the basis of scientific theory
- Provides examples of the practice of rock mechanics to major engineering projects
Practical Rock Mechanics teaches from first principles and aids readers' understanding of the concepts of stress and stress transformation and the practical application of rock mechanics theory. This text can help ensure that ground models and designs are correct, realistic, and produced cost-effectively.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||164.3 MB|
|Publisher: ||CRC Press|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||9781482217278 (DRM-PDF)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|
|This ebook will NOT be sold to customers with a billing address in:|