In the bestselling style of the Reeds Handbook series, Reeds Ocean Handbook follows on from Reeds Skipper's Handbook for skippers or crew planning to venture further afield. Complimenting the RYA Ocean Yachtmaster course, this handy pocketbook provides an aide-memoire for all the essential navigation, weather and route planning theory as well as practical guidance and advice on long-distance radio communications, ocean passage-making and risk/emergency preparations.
Colour coded sections, for user-friendly accessibility, cover:
- World climate and route planning (including world wind systems, ocean currents, tropical revolving storms)
- Navigation (charts, great circle vs Mercator routes, time zones, satellite navigation systems, advice on on-passage navigation routines)
- Astro navigation (basic theory refresher, practical astro navigation, plus using and adjusting the sextant)
- Passage making (route planning, preparing the yacht, power needs, supplies of water, food, gas and diesel, watch-keeping routines, crew care)
- Communications (features and advantages of VHF, MF, SSB and satellite phones, weather fax, email and access to the internet)
- Risks and emergencies (preparing for them, equipment checklist, grab bags, emergency scenario procedures)
Internationally relevant and with colour diagrams throughout, this handy pocket-sized handbook is an ideal revision aid on shore and the perfect quick reference guide on the boat.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||19.3 MB|
|Publisher: ||Thomas Reed|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||9781472921420 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|