Rethinking Photography is an accessible and illuminating critical introduction to the practice and interpretation of photography today.
Peter Smith and Carolyn Lefley closely link critical approaches to photographic practices and present a detailed study of differing historical and contemporary perspectives on social and artistic functions of the medium, including photography as art, documentary forms, advertising and personal narratives.
Richly illustrated full colour images throughout connect key concepts to real world examples. It also includes:
- Accessible book chapters on key topics including early photography, photography and industrial society, the rise of photography theory, critical engagement with anti-realist trends in the theory and practice of photography, photography and language, photography education, and photography and the creative economy
- Specific case studies on photographic practices include snapshot and portable box cameras, digital and mobile phone cultures, and computer-generated imagery
- Critical summaries of current photography theoretical studies in the field, displaying how critical theory has been mapped on to working practices of photographers and students
- In-depth profiles of selected key photographers and theorists and studies of their professional practices
- Assessment of photography as a key area of contemporary aesthetic debate
- Focused and critical study of the world of working photographers beyond the horizons of the academy.
Rethinking Photography provides readers with an engaging mix of photographic case studies and an accessible exploration of essential theory. It is the perfect guide for students of Photography, Fine Art, Art History, and Graphic Design as well as practitioners from any background wishing to understand the place of photography in global societies today.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||94.7 MB|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||9781317524885 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|