Large-scale development projects oftentimes end up creating negative impacts that affect vulnerable populations with particular intensity. Projects likely to displace families from their homes, degrade the living conditions of indigenous peoples or intensify social conflicts at local levels are not uncommon. Social safeguards are intended to prevent these and other unintended impacts, and when the impacts cannot be averted, to develop appropriate measures to mitigate them. However, the practical implementation of social safeguards is plagued with a series of structural problems. The collection of stories from the field presented in this book illustrates the principles and application of social safeguards in the context of projects funded by multilateral banks, identifying key challenges in their implementation and exploring paths to overcome those limitations.
Other topics covered in the book include:
- Reasons why social safeguards exist and their overarching goals
- How social safeguard policies are regularly implemented in practice
- The top ten limitations to the preparation of social impact assessments
- Operational challenges of involuntary resettlement and economic displacement
- Current procedures to prevent negative impacts on indigenous peoples
- Existing measures to prevent gender risks and promote greater gender equity
- How to promote authentic participatory processes in consultation mechanisms
- How to increase the social sustainability standards of economic development
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||145 KB|
|Publisher: ||Amakella Publishing|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||9781633870130 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|