Prepare Your Students for Statistical Work in the Real World
Statistics for Engineering and the Sciences, Sixth Edition is designed for a two-semester introductory course on statistics for students majoring in engineering or any of the physical sciences. This popular text continues to teach students the basic concepts of data description and statistical inference as well as the statistical methods necessary for real-world applications. Students will understand how to collect and analyze data and think critically about the results.
New to the Sixth Edition
- Many new and updated exercises based on contemporary engineering and scientific-related studies and real data
- More statistical software printouts and corresponding instructions for use that reflect the latest versions of the SAS, SPSS, and MINITAB software
- Introduction of the case studies at the beginning of each chapter
- Streamlined material on all basic sampling concepts, such as random sampling and sample survey designs, which gives students an earlier introduction to key sampling issues
- New examples on comparing matched pairs versus independent samples, selecting the sample size for a designed experiment, and analyzing a two-factor experiment with quantitative factors
- New section on using regression residuals to check the assumptions required in a simple linear regression analysis
The first several chapters of the book identify the objectives of statistics, explain how to describe data, and present the basic concepts of probability. The text then introduces the two methods for making inferences about population parameters: estimation with confidence intervals and hypothesis testing. The remaining chapters extend these concepts to cover other topics useful in analyzing engineering and scientific data, including the analysis of categorical data, regression analysis, model building, analysis of variance for designed experiments, nonparametric statistics, statistical quality control, and product and system reliability.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||36.9 MB|
|Publisher: ||Chapman and Hall/CRC|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||9781498728874 (DRM-PDF)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|