The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English presents all the slang terms from The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English in a single volume.
Containing over 60,000 entries, this concise new edition of the authoritative work details the slang and unconventional English of from around the English-speaking world since 1945, and through the first decade of the new millennium, with the same thorough, intense, and lively scholarship that characterized Partridge's own work.
Unique, exciting and, at times, hilariously shocking, key features include:
- unprecedented coverage of World English, with equal prominence given to American and British English slang, and entries included from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, India, South Africa, Ireland, and the Caribbean
- emphasis on post-World War II slang and unconventional English
- dating information for each headword
- in the tradition of Partridge, commentary on the term's origins and meaning.
New to this second edition:
- a new preface noting slang trends of the last eight years
- over 1,000 new entries from the US, UK and Australia, reflecting important developments in language and culture
- new terms from the language of social networking from a range of digital communities including texting, blogs, Facebook, Twitter and online forums
- many entries now revised to include new dating and new glosses, ensuring maximum accuracy of content.
The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English is a spectacular resource infused with humour and learning - it's rude, it's delightful, and it's a prize for anyone with a love of language.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||5.3 MB|
|Date published: || 2014|
|ISBN: ||9781317625117 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|