Where is U.S. secondary-level science education heading today? That's the question that The Essentials of Science, Grades 7-12 sets out to answer. Over the last century, U.S. science classes have consistently relied on lectures, textbooks, rote memorization, and lab demonstrations. But with the onset of NCLB-mandated science testing and increased concern over the United States' diminishing global stature in science and technology, public pressure is mounting to educate students for a deeper conceptual understanding of science.
Through lively examples of classroom practice, interviews with award-winning science teachers and science education experts, and a wide-ranging look at research, readers will learn
* How to make use of research within the cognitive sciences to foster critical thinking and deeper understanding.
* How to use backward design to bring greater coherence to the curriculum.
* Innovative, engaging ideas for implementing scientific inquiry in the classroom.
* Holistic strategies to address the complex problems of the achievement gap, equity, and resources in the science classroom.
* Strategies for dealing with both day-to-day and NCLB assessments.
* How professional learning communities and mentoring can help teachers reexamine and improve their practice.
Today's secondary science teachers are faced with an often-overwhelming array of challenges. The Essentials of Science, Grades 7-12 can help educators negotiate these challenges while making their careers more productive and rewarding.
Note: This product listing is for the Adobe Acrobat (PDF) version of the book.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||2.3 MB|
|Date published: || 2007|
|ISBN: ||9781416616955 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Copying:||of 75 selections every 7 days allowed|
|Printing:||of 75 pages every 7 days allowed|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|
|This ebook will only be sold to customers with a billing address in:|