The five chapters of this volume focus on the complex and tumultuous events occurring in Russia during the five months from May through September 1999. They sparked the Russian invasion of Chechnya on 1 October and vaulted a previously unknown former KGB agent into the post of Russian prime minister and, ultimately, president.
The five chapters are devoted to:
• The intense political struggle taking place in Russia between May and August of 1999, culminating in an incursion by armed Islamic separatists into the Republic of Dagestan.
• Two Moscow terrorist bombings of 9 and 13 September 1999, claiming the lives of 224 Muscovites and preparing the psychological and political ground for a full-blown invasion of Chechnya.
• The so-called Ryazan Incident of 22 September 1999, when eyewitnesses observed officers of the FSB special forces placing a live bomb in the basement of an apartment building in the town of Rzayan.
• The detonation of a powerful truck bomb outside of an apartment house in Buinaksk, Dagestan, on 4 September 1999, which took the lives of fifty-eight innocent victims.
• The explosion on 16 September 1999 of a truck bomb in the city of Volgdonsk in southern Russia, which killed eighteen persons and seriously wounded eighty-nine
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||1.8 MB|
|Publisher: ||Ibidem Press|
|Date published: || 2014|
|ISBN: ||2370006539766 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|
|This ebook will only be sold to customers with a billing address in:|
|American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bhutan, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Colombia, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Heard and Mc Donald Islands, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Japan, Korea (Democratic People's Republic of), Korea (Republic of), Lao People's Democratic Republic, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norfolk Island, Northern Mariana Islands, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French Part), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Taiwan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tokelau, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States, United States Minor Outlying Islands, Uruguay, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Virgin Islands (British), Virgin Islands (U.S.)|