Chronic inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, multiple sclerosis, inflammatory bowel diseases, and others typically stimulate a systemic response of the entire body. This response has a uniform character in many diseases because common pathways are switched on. The uniform response regulates systemic energy and water provision. However, long-term application of this program leads to typical disease sequelae such as fatigue / depressive symptoms, sleep disturbances, anorexia, malnutrition, muscle wasting - cachexia, cachectic obesity, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, alterations of steroid hormone axes, disturbances of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis, elevated sympathetic tone, hypertension, volume expansion, decreased parasympathetic tone, inflammation-related anemia, bone loss, hypercoagulability, circadian rhythms of symptoms, and disease exacerbation by stress .
The Origin of Chronic Inflammatory Systemic Diseases and Their Sequelae demonstrates concepts of neuroendocrine immunology, energy and water regulation, and evolutionary medicine in order to show that the uniform response that regulates systemic energy and water provision, has been positively selected for acute physiological responses and short-lived disease states, but is a misguided program in chronic inflammatory diseases and aging.
* Offers a broad conceptual framework with a strong clinical link, written in an easy to grasp style and demonstrating the link to aging research
* Describes the important principles derived from basic immunology that are used to explain pathogenesis of chronic inflammatory systemic diseases with a focus on autoimmunity
* Defines the bioenergetics and energy regulation of the body explaining common response pathways typical for systemic inflammation
* Makes use of evolutionary medicine theory to demonstrate the uniformity of the systemic response
* Explains the appearance of typical disease sequelae on the basis of the three pillars: neuroendocrine immunology, energy regulation, and evolutionary medicine theory
* Contains color figures and tables that explain the field to newcomers
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||14.3 MB|
|Publisher: ||Academic Press|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||2370006541745 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|