Foreword Reviews 2011 Book of the Year Honorable Mention (Health Category)
Medical studies have consistently shown that patients benefit from therapy dog visits. One recent study of 59 adults showed that following a therapy dog visit their energy levels increased, respiratory rated calmed significantly and pain scores decreased by over 20%. Mood scores improved by over 60% with the patients feeling less tense, anxious, angry, tied depressed and dejected.
Now in The Power of Wagging Tails, Dr. Dawn Marcus showcases the wide range of research that shows the therapeutic and healing power of dogs for people of all ages and with a wide range of health conditions. These research findings are brought to life through the personal stories of healing from dog owners across the United States and Canada.
She shows you how to unleash the healing power of your own dog, describes how to effectively add a dog to the home of someone with a chronic condition, explains how the family dog can help with chronic health conditions, and teaches how to train a companion dog to be a certified therapy dog to help others.
The Power of Wagging Tails will be of interest to dog owners, people wondering how to help family and friends coping with chronic illnesses, and individuals considering training their dogs for therapy work.
Special Features of The Power of Wagging Tails include :
- Presentation of reliable medical research showing that dog therapy offers therapeutic benefits to people
- First-person accounts from service dog trainers, aerobic instructors, and recognized dog training experts such as Carol Lea Benjamin
- First-person accounts of people who have experienced dog therapy
- Practical suggestions to help people decide if they should add a dog to their home or have a therapy dog visit
- Sound advice to help people decide if dog therapy is right for them
- Practical tips on how to make dog therapy visits safe, effective, and successful for the dog, handler, and people visited
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||36.0 MB|
|Publisher: ||Demos Health|
|Date published: || 2011|
|ISBN: ||2370006791706 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Copying:||of 20 selections every 20 days allowed|
|Printing:||of 20 pages every 20 days allowed|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|