For more than a decade, Ruby developers have turned to The Ruby Way for reliable "how-to" guidance on effective Ruby programming. Now, Hal Fulton and Andr? Arko have thoroughly updated this classic guide to cover new language enhancements and developers' experiences through Ruby 2.1.
The new edition illuminates Ruby 2.1 through 400+ examples, each answering the question: "How do I do this in Ruby?" For each example, they present both a task description and realistic technical constraints. Next, they walk step-by-step through presenting one good solution, offering detailed explanations to promote deeper understanding.
Conveniently organized by topic, The Ruby Way, Third Edition makes it easier than ever to find the specific solution you want—and to write better code by reflecting Ruby's unique philosophy and spirit.
- Ruby 2.1 overview: terminology, philosophy, and basic principles
- Best practices for strings and regular expressions
- Efficiently internationalizing your code
- Performing calculations (including trigonometry, calculus, statistics, and time/date calculations)
- Working with "Rubyesque" objects such as symbols and ranges
- Using arrays, hashes, stacks, queues, trees, graphs, and other data structures
- Efficiently storing data with YAML, JSON, and SQLite3
- Leveraging object-oriented and dynamic features, from multiple constructors to program inspection
- Building GUIs with Shoes 4, Ruby/Tk, Ruby/GTK3, QtRuby, and other toolkits
- Improving thread performance by understanding Ruby's synchronization methods and avoiding its pitfalls
- Automating system administration with Ruby
- Data formats: JSON, XML, RSS, Atom, RMagick, PDF, and more
- Testing and debugging with RSpec, Minitest, Cucumber, byebug, and pry
- Measuring Ruby program performance
- Packaging and distributing code, and managing dependencies with Bundler
- Network programming: clients, time servers, POP, SMTP, IMAP, Open-URI
- Web applications: HTTP servers, Rails, Sinatra, HTML generation, and more
- Writing distributed Ruby software with drb
- Choosing modern development tools that maximize your productivity
All source code for this book may be downloaded at www.rubyhacker.com.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||34.7 MB|
|Publisher: ||Addison-Wesley Professional|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||9780132480376 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Copying:||of 30 selections every 30 days allowed|
|Printing:||of 30 pages every 30 days allowed|
|Read Aloud: ||allowed|
|This ebook will NOT be sold to customers with a billing address in:|
|Afghanistan, Algeria, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegowina, Congo, Congo (The Democratic Republic of the), Cote D'Ivoire, Cuba, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Iraq, Korea (Democratic People's Republic of), Liberia, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Macedonia (The Former Yugoslav Republic of), Myanmar, Nigeria, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Zimbabwe|