Now in third edition, with updates to reflect developments in our understanding of learning difficulties in maths, this award-winning text provides vital insights into the often confusing world of numeracy. By looking at learning difficulties in maths and dyscalculia from several perspectives, including the vocabulary and language of maths, thinking styles and the demands of individual procedures, this book provides a complete overview of the most frequently occurring problems associated with maths teaching and learning. Drawing on tried-and-tested methods based on research and Steve Chinn's years of classroom experience, it provides an authoritative yet accessible one-stop classroom resource.
Combining advice, guidance and practical activities, this user-friendly guide will help you to:
- develop flexible thinking styles
- use alternative strategies to replace an over-reliance on rote learning for pupils trying to access basic facts
- understand the implications of underlying skills, such as working memory, on learning
- implement effective pre-emptive measures before demotivation sets in
- recognise the manifestations of maths anxiety and tackle affective domain problems
- find approaches to solve word problems
- select appropriate materials and visual images to enhance understanding.
With useful features such as checklists for the evaluation of books and a comprehensive overview of resources, this book will equip you with essential skills to help you tackle your pupils' maths difficulties and improve standards. This book will be useful for all teachers, classroom assistants, learning support assistants and parents.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||3.1 MB|
|Date published: || 2016|
|ISBN: ||9781317285151 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|