In The Vital Glutes, author and respected bodywork specialist John Gibbons looks at one of the most neglected areas of the body: the gluteal muscles. He takes readers on a fascinating journey of enlightenment, teaching us to recognize pain and dysfunctional patterns that arise from the gluteal muscles.
Gibbons addresses such questions as: Why do the gluteals potentially cause pain and dysfunction in distant sites of the body? How does the gait pattern contribute to pain and dysfunction? And, how can the application of gluteal-specific Muscle Energy Techniques aid full-body well-being? In addition, he provides step-by-step techniques to identify and correct a number of impaired patterns as well as functional gluteal exercises that promote recovery.
With full color photographs and illustrations, the book demonstrates how to perform functional assessment testing for the muscles of posture that can become chronically tight—a principal causative factor in dysfunctional glutes. Therapeutic techniques, including gluteal exercises, show how to correct dysfunction and reduce pain. This book will be of great value to physical therapists, athletes, and anyone interested in bodywork.
Table of Contents
1. Putting the Maximus Back into Gluteus Maximus
2. Muscle Imbalance and the Myofascial Slings
3. The Glutes and the Gait Cycle
4. Leg length discrepancy (LLD), Over-Pronation and its effect on the Glutes
5. Functional Anatomy of the Gluteus Maximus (Gmax)
6. Functional Anatomy of the Gluteus Medius (Gmed)
7. Muscle Energy Techniques
8. The Antagonistic Cause - the Vital Psoas, Rectus Femoris and Adductors
9. Gmax and Gmed Causing Knee and Ankle Pain
10. Gmax and Gmed Causing Lumbar Spine Pain
11. Differential Diagnosis of Weakness Inhibition of the Glutes
12. Gmax and Gmed Control Exercises
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||61.2 MB|
|Publisher: ||North Atlantic Books|
|Date published: || 2014|
|ISBN: ||9781583948484 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|
|This ebook will NOT be sold to customers with a billing address in:|
|American Samoa, Canada, Guam, Micronesia (Federated States of), Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Puerto Rico, United States, United States Minor Outlying Islands, Virgin Islands (U.S.)|