Thinking Arabic Translation is an indispensable book for linguists who want to develop their Arabic-to-English translation skills. Clear explanations, discussions, examples and exercises enable students to acquire the skills necessary for tackling a broad range of translation problems.
The book has a practical orientation, addressing key issues for translators, such as cultural differences, genre, and revision and editing. It is a book on translation method, drawing on a range of notions from linguistics and translation theory to encourage thoughtful consideration of possible solutions to practical problems.
This new edition includes:
• new material in almost all chapters
• a new chapter on parallelism
• two new chapters on technical translation: botanical and Islamic finance texts
• new and up-to-date examples from all types of translation, covering broad issues that have emerged in the Arab world in recent years
• texts drawn from a wide variety of writing types, including newspapers, prose fiction, poetry, tourist material, scientific texts, financial texts, recipes, academic writing, constitutions and political speeches
• at least three full-length practical translation exercises in each chapter to complement the discussions and consolidate learning.
In addition to the updated Tutor's Handbook, a Supplement, containing textual material and practical exercises aimed at further developing the translation issues discussed in the main text, and a Tutor's Handbook to the Supplement, are available at www.routledge.com/cw/dickins.
Thinking Arabic Translation is key reading for advanced students wishing to perfect their language skills or considering a career in tran
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||1.8 MB|
|Date published: || 2016|
|ISBN: ||9781315471556 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|