Explore an ecological strength-based framework for the treatment of gender-variant clients
This comprehensive book provides you with a clinical and theoretical overview of the issues facing transgendered/transsexual people and their families. Transgender Emergence: Therapeutic Guidelines for Working with Gender-Variant People and Their Families views assessment and treatment through a nonpathologizing lens that honors human diversity and acknowledges the role of oppression in the developmental process of gender identity formation.
Specific sections of Transgender Emergence: Therapeutic Guidelines for Working with Gender-Variant People and Their Families address the needs of gender-variant people as well as transgender children and youth. The issues facing gender-variant populations who have not been the focus of clinical care, such as intersexed people, female-to-male transgendered people, and those who identify as bigendered, are also addressed.
The book examines:
Complete with fascinating case studies, a critique of diagnostic processes, treatment recommendations, and a helpful glossary of relevant terms, this book is an essential reference for anyone who works with gender-variant people. Handy tables and figures make the information easier to access and understand.
- the six stages of transgender emergence
- coming out transgendered as a normative process of gender identity development
- thinking "outside the box" in the deconstruction of sex and gender
- the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity, as well as the convergence, overlap, and integration of these parts of the self
- the power of personal narrative in gender identity development
- etiology and typographies of transgenderism
- treatment models that emerge from various clinical perspectives
- alternative treatment modalities based on gender variance as a normative lifecycle developmental process
Visit the author's Web site at http://www.choicesconsulting.com
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||2.8 MB|
|Date published: || 2013|
|ISBN: ||9781136384950 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|