Ubuntu Unleashed 2015 Edition is filled with unique and advanced information for everyone who wants to make the most of the Linux-based Ubuntu operating system. This new edition has been thoroughly revised and updated by a long-time Ubuntu community leader to reflect the exciting new Ubuntu 14.10 while including tons of information that will continue to apply to future editions.
Former Ubuntu Forum administrator Matthew Helmke covers all you need to know about Ubuntu 14.10 installation, configuration, productivity, multimedia, development, system administration, server operations, networking, virtualization, security, DevOps, and more–including intermediate-to-advanced techniques you won't find in any other book.
Helmke presents up-to-the-minute introductions to Ubuntu's key productivity and Web development tools, programming languages, hardware support, and more. You'll find new or improved coverage of Ubuntu's Unity interface, various types of servers, software repositories, database options, virtualization and cloud services, development tools, monitoring, troubleshooting, Ubuntu's push into mobile and other touch screen devices, and much more.
Detailed information on how to…
- Configure and customize the Unity desktop
- Get started with multimedia and productivity applications, including LibreOffice
- Manage Linux services, users, and software packages
- Administer and run Ubuntu from the command line
- Automate tasks and use shell scripting
- Provide secure remote access and configure a secure VPN
- Manage kernels and modules
- Administer file, print, email, proxy, LDAP, DNS, and HTTP servers (Apache, Nginx, or alternatives)
- Learn about new options for managing large numbers of servers
- Work with databases (both SQL and the newest NoSQL alternatives)
- Get started with virtualization
- Build a private cloud with Juju and Charms
- Learn the basics about popular programming languages including Python, PHP, Perl, and new alternatives such as Go and Rust
- Learn about Ubuntu's work toward usability on touch-screen and phone devices
Ubuntu 14.10 on DVD
DVD includes the full Ubuntu 14.10 distribution for 64 bit computers (most desktop and notebooks systems today) as well as the complete LibreOffice office suite and hundreds of additional programs and utilities.
Free Kick Start Chapter!
Purchase this book and receive a free Ubuntu 15.04 Kick Start chapter after Ubuntu 15.04 is released. See inside back cover for details
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||34.4 MB|
|Publisher: ||Sams Publishing|
|Date published: || 2014|
|ISBN: ||9780133794069 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Copying:||of 30 selections every 30 days allowed|
|Printing:||of 30 pages every 30 days allowed|
|Read Aloud: ||allowed|
|This ebook will NOT be sold to customers with a billing address in:|
|Afghanistan, Algeria, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegowina, Congo, Congo (The Democratic Republic of the), Cote D'Ivoire, Cuba, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Iraq, Korea (Democratic People's Republic of), Liberia, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Macedonia (The Former Yugoslav Republic of), Myanmar, Nigeria, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Zimbabwe|