The editors of the third edition of the seminal textbook Understanding and Applying Medical Anthropology bring it completely up to date for both instructors and students. The collection of 49 readings (17 of them new to this edition) offers extensive background description and exposes students to the breadth of theoretical, methodological, and practical perspectives and issues in the field of medical anthropology. The text provides specific examples and case studies of research as it is applied to a range of health settings: from cross-cultural clinical encounters to cultural analysis of new biomedical technologies and the implementation of programs in global health settings. The new edition features:
• a major revision that eliminates many older readings in favor of more fresh, relevant selections;
• a new section on structural violence that looks at the impact of poverty and other forms of social marginalization on health;
• an updated and expanded section on "Conceptual Tools," including new research and ideas that are currently driving the field of medical anthropology forward (such as epigenetics and syndemics);
• new chapters on climate change, Ebola, PTSD among Iraq/Afghanistan veterans, eating disorders, and autism, among others;
• recent articles from Margaret Mead Award winners Sera Young, Seth Holmes, and Erin Finley, along with new articles by such established medical anthropologists as Paul Farmer and Merrill Singer.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||18.2 MB|
|Date published: || 2016|
|ISBN: ||9781315416168 (DRM-PDF)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|
|This ebook will only be sold to customers with a billing address in:|