Understanding Semantics, Second Edition, provides an engaging and accessible introduction to linguistic semantics. The first part takes the reader through a step-by-step guide to the main phenomena and notions of semantics, covering levels and dimensions of meaning, ambiguity, meaning and context, logical relations and meaning relations, the basics of noun semantics, verb semantics and sentence semantics. The second part provides a critical introduction to the basic notions of the three major theoretical approaches to meaning: structuralism, cognitive semantics and formal semantics.
Key features include:
- A consistent mentalist perspective on meaning
- Broad coverage of lexical and sentence semantics, including three new chapters discussing deixis, NP semantics, presuppositions, verb semantics and frames
- Examples from a wider range of languages that include German, Japanese, Spanish and Russian.
- Practical exercises on linguistic data
- Companion website including all figures and tables from the book, an online dictionary, answers to the exercises and useful links at routledge.com/cw/loebner
This book is an essential resource for all undergraduate students studying semantics.Sebastian Löbner is a Professor of Linguistics at the Institute for Language and Information at the University of Düsseldorf, Germa
|Size: ||2.7 MB|
|Date published: || 2013|
|ISBN: ||2370006843276 (PDF)|
|This ebook will NOT be sold to customers with a billing address in:|