About This Book
- Get acquainted with the concepts of lighting and rendering specific to Unreal
- Use new features such as Realistic Rendering and Foliage Shading to breathe new life into your projects
- A fast-paced guide to help you learn lighting and rendering concepts in Unreal
Who This Book Is For
This book is meant for game developers with knowledge of Unreal Engine and a basic understanding of its lighting and rendering systems. As a prerequisite, you need to have good knowledge of C++.
What You Will Learn
- Use features such as Ambient Occlusion, Global Illumination, and Foliage Shading to create high quality output
- Create and edit your materials using the Material Editor
- Use Cascade's particle editor to create modular particle-based effects using emitters
- Explore Unreal's GPU Visualizer
- Tweak the overall look and feel of your scene with post process effects
- Create charts to get statistical unit times over a long period of time
- Use scalability settings to maintain the performance of your games on different platforms and hardware
Unreal Engine is a powerful game development engine that provides rich functionalities for creating 2D and 3D games. This book provides you with the skills required to apply a high level of visual appeal to your games without compromising on performance.
Starting with an introduction to the rendering system, you will learn to create different types of materials using the Material Editor. You will then create a particle system based on the Cascade editor to create mind-blowing visual effects. Moving on, you will learn about the concept of lights in Unreal and different types of dynamic/real-time lights, along with a number of powerful post processing effects. Next, you will learn to improve rendering performance, keeping in mind the rendering limitations of different platforms.
At the end of this book, you will be introduced to the scalability settings menu and how to add realistic fog effects based on the requirements of your game or level.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||6.8 MB|
|Publisher: ||Packt Publishing|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||2370006841524 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|