A beginner's guide to wind power and an invitation to experiment with wind and its potential as an energy source.
Wind-powered generators are now used worldwide as a reliable source of "green" energy. How does wind create power? What is wind? What scientific characteristics make pinwheels, windmills and wind turbines spin? What makes them turn faster and more efficiently? Will we ever see a day when every home is powered by its own wind generator? This new book answers these critical questions and many more in clear, non-technical language.
Wind Power provides 20 unique projects for youth that use, adapt and illustrate the power of the wind. Artist Clive Dobson provides a basic scientific understanding of wind power and the ways in which it can be harnessed for vital tasks that require energy.
The book encourages young readers to experiment with wind so they can experience the properties of moving air on various windmill shapes and discover through trial and error what makes them effective for toys, artwork, kinetic power and even for generating electricity.
This ideal beginner's guide to the power of the wind offers:
- Real-life examples of wind power from history and current everyday uses
- 20 projects for all ages and skill levels, from a simple two-blade pinwheel to a sophisticated six-sail windmill to a modern turbine with airfoil blades
- Clear illustrations and photographs that complement the step-by-step construction instructions
- Hands-on experience that provides a clear understanding of scientific principles
- Inspiration for beginners to experiment with wind
- Reflections on the modern use of wind power in building a sustainable future
The creative challenges in this compact book of projects will inspire future generations to become more self-sufficient.
To view this DRM protected ebook on your desktop or laptop you will need to have Adobe Digital Editions installed. It is a free software. We also strongly recommend that you sign up for an AdobeID at the Adobe website. For more details please see FAQ 1&2. To view this ebook on an iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device you will need the Adobe Digital Editions app, or BlueFire Reader or Txtr app. These are free, too. For more details see this article.
|Size: ||34.4 MB|
|Publisher: ||Firefly Books|
|Date published: || 2015|
|ISBN: ||9781770857032 (DRM-EPUB)|
|Read Aloud: ||not allowed|