This is the second edition from 1942, published by Max Holden. Some stains on the back cover and the last pages, and some damage to the spine, otherwise in good condition.
This is a classic in sleight-of-hand magic. From the foreword:
This BOOK is mainly on the art of sleight-of-hand and it is my earnest hope that these pages will afford practical help to both the specialist and the amateur magician.
During the period of over twenty-five years of practical magic I have formed the conclusion that in all conjuring, no matter how cleanly a trick may have been worked, it is the effect that counts.
A magical effect that one desires to "get over" must be definite and surprising. By definite I mean an easily followed plot or routine. By surprising I mean that a climax should be striven for that has not been foreseen by the audience.
- AUTHOR'S FOREWORD
- CHAPTER I. SOME USEFUL CARDS SLEIGHTS I HAVE PROVED EFFECTIVE
- The Pass
- The "E.V." Colour Change
- The "E.V." Invisible Double Lift
- A New "Glide"
- A One-Hand Force
- The "Book" Return
- Two "Handy" Sleights
- Sighting the Top Cards
- A Substitute for the "In-Jog"
- CHAPTER II. CARD PROBLEMS
- Supreme Control
- The Expert Deal
- A Royal Exchange
- "Sign, Please!"
- The "Deo-Ace" Trick
- The Thirty Card Trick
- CHAPTER III. CONJURING WITH COINS
- "A Silver Collection"
- A Vanish for One or More Coins
- The Changing Coin
- CHAPTER IV. HANDKERCHIEF MAGIC
- The "Super" Sympathetic Silks
- CHAPTER V. BILLIARD BALL SLEIGHTS
- A Few Words on "Angles"
- The "Direct Palm" Vanish
- The "Throw-up" Vanish
- The "Push-in" Vanish
- An Elbow Vanish
- An Original Colour-Change
- A Continuous Ball Production
- CHAPTER VI. THIMBLE SLEIGHTS
- The Hopping Thimble
- The "Little Finger" Sleight
- A "Slow Motion" Disappearance
- A Triple Colour Change
- A Sleight with Four Thimbles
- A New and Original Thimble Holder
- CHAPTER VII. CIGARETTE AND CIGAR SLEIGHTS
- The "Closed-Fist" Vanish
- The "Pull-Out" Vanish
- The "Thumb-Pivot" Vanish
- The "Finger-Clip" Vanish
- Method of Producing a Cigarette or Cigar at the Fingertips from the Palm
- A Change-Over Palm
- Changing a Cigarette into a Cigar
- The Magnetic Cigar
- "Cigar to Money"
- The Diminishing Cigar
- CHAPTER VIII. MY ROPE TRICK
- CHAPTER IX. AN IDEA FOR SLATES
- CHAPTER X. MISCELLANEOUS MAGIC
- The Cigarette Paper Effect
- A Match Divination
- A Novel Matchbox Transposition
- A Useful "Tip"
1st edition 1937.
|Publisher: ||D. Robbins & Co.|