John Hostler's magnum opus, Magnum Opossum: A Few Decades of Untamed Magic, was released for sale from May through August 2016 as a "time-limited edition" - perhaps the first of its kind in magic. We now present a limited (and affordable) electronic edition of this marvelous work - available only through December 31, 2016.
Magnum's nearly 150 pages feature 21 professional-caliber routines, effects, and sleights for the dedicated close-up magician. Items include the best of Hostler's material from rare, limited-issue manuscripts and periodicals dating back to 1987. In addition to content from the sold-out hardcover, this edition incorporates two bonuses - "A Melding of Mynds" and "Shalom's Key" - that significantly enhance the value and utility of both "Sanada Meets Elmsley" and "The Triskadequadra Principle."
- BERTHA: A new take on the classic "Fred" effect that ends with the deck in your spectator's hands.
- $13 CARD TO WALLET: Card-to-wallet with a surprise repeat. No palming, an examinable wallet, and two killer loads.
- SPEAKEASY POKER DEAL: A Rauschenberg-style poker deal with a prohibition-era twist.
- IMAGINEINK: A downright spooky demonstration of the power of suggestion, in which a spectator momentarily loses touch with reality.
- ESTIMATED PROPHET: Aronson's classic Shuffle Bored cut to the bone... with a shuffled deck in use.
- FIVE CARD MENTAL LEAP: Dai Vernon's "Five Card Mental Force" and Henry Hardin's "Princess Card Trick" meet at last.
- THE RATCHET CUT: An easy-as-falling-out-of-bed, joyously deceptive false cut.
- THE RAUSCHENBERG EFFECT: Ambitious card meets Triumph, culminating in the deck reverting to its pre-printed state.
- DIM MAK (PRESSURE POINT 2.0): Heat from the magician's fingertips causes cards to rise (ambitious-style), slither (haunted-style), and ultimately vaporize.
- THE TRISKADEQUADRA PRINCIPLE: This principle isolates and leverages some very special mathematical properties inherent in a riffle-shuffled deck. Includes four applications - Bar Bits, Rogue Heart, Colm Mulcahy's Flushed with Embarrassment, and the TDQ Deck - a force/pump deck that can be shuffled by a spectator.
- SANADA MEETS ELMSLEY: Straight from the notebooks... a new brand of peek involving the strange melding of two completely unrelated principles.
- THE KLUTZY MENTALIST: The performer accidentally springs a deck of pasteboards to the floor. Despite the pack's haphazard condition, he is perfectly situated for the mental selection of a "pumpable" card.
- ROYALLY WILD: Wild card with no gimmicks and a royal flush kicker.
- NEW SPEEDAY BOOGIE: A super-clean backfire assembly purged of unnecessary counting and proving. All cards may be left on the table for examination.
- TELL MONTE: Tell-reading with nods to Hummer and Curry. This one will test you.
- CUED REDUX: A bare-handed, technically delicious broken-and-restored toothpick.
- NOEYEON PROTOCOL: An approach to rapidly locating the mate (or duplicate) of a freely selected card with no knowledge of its identity.
- ALLIGATOR: A rapid-fire demonstration of precognition, telepathy, and clairvoyance leveraging a number of ingenious mathematical principles.
- CONVOID: The mutilated-and-restored bill with a clearly visible hole, no cover, and no bill switch.
- VISIONS OF SARAGOSSA POKER DEAL: Stupefyingly "drunken poker" with a shuffled deck in use. Free selections cut into the deck by four volunteers are located in electrifying fashion.
- CRYPTICAL ENVELOPMENT: The magician implants a false memory of a freely sighted card, and somehow manages to prove it.
1st edition 2016, 150 pages.
word count: 47540 which is equivalent to 190 standard pages of text
Reviewed by Daniel Smith (confirmed purchase)
Rating: [5 of 5 Stars!] Date Added: Sunday 16 October, 2016
I'm only up to page 12, and already I'm glad I got this. I'm sorry I missed the first edition, but equally happy with knowing this is probably cheaper.
Hostler is a really good writer with the right combination of wit and precision. BTW, I'm quite fond of his previous work as well. If you can locate it, get it as well.
And after trying for several minutes now, I realize nothing I can add to the above makes its meaning any clearer.