| £6.40 | €7.02 | C$10.92 | AUD$11.61 | ₹553.60 | CN¥55.04 | JP¥861.62 | R$30.80
The full title of this work is The Gaming Table: Its votaries and victims in all times and countries, especially in England and in France
. It is essentially a history of gambling detailing people and places. It does include some exposure of cheating, but most of that is told in volume 2
- CHAPTER I. The Universal Passion Of Gaming; Or, Gaming All The World Over.
- CHAPTER II. Gambling Among The Ancient Hindoos.—A Hindoo Legend And Its Modern Parallel.
- CHAPTER III. Gambling Among The Ancient Egyptians, Persians, And Greeks.
- CHAPTER IV. Gaming Among The Ancient Roman Emperors.
- CHAPTER V. Gambling In France In All Times.
- CHAPTER VI. The Rise And Progress Of Modern Gaming In England.
- CHAPTER VII. Gambling In Brighton In 1817.
- CHAPTER VIII. Gambling At The German Bathing-Places.
- Baden And Its Conversation House
- CHAPTER IX. Gambling In The United States.
- Pat Hern
- John Morrissey
- Other Gaming-Houses
- American Gamblers
- American Games:—Draw Poker, Or Bluff
- Fly Loo
- The Crimes Of American Gamblers
- CHAPTER X. Lady Gamestresses.
- The Gambling Barrow-Women
- Gamestresses At Baden-Baden
- Gaming Houses Kept By Ladies
- The Famous Lady Buckinghamshire
- CHAPTER XI. Gambling Poets, Savants, Philosophers, Wits, And Statesmen.
- Beau Nash
- The Earl Of Chesterfield
- George Selwyn
- Lord Carlisle
- Charles James Fox
- Wilberforce And Pitt
- Sir Philip Francis
- The Rev. Caleb C. Colton
- Beau Brummell
- Tom Duncombe
- Was The Duke Of Wellington A Gamester?
- CHAPTER XII. Remarkable Gamesters.
- Monsieur Chevalier
- John Higden
- Monsieur Germain
- Tom Hughes
- Andrews, The Great Billiard-Player
- Whig Middleton
- Captain Campbell
- Wrothesly, Duke Of Bedford
- The Duke Of Norfolk
- General Ogle: A Bold Stroke
- Horace Walpole
- The Earl Of March
- Mr Lumsden
- General Scott, The Honest Winner Of £200,000
- Richard Bennet
- Dennis O’kelly
- Dick England
- Major Baggs
- The Duc De Mirefoix
- A Reclaimed Gambler’s Account Of His Career
- A Surprise
- CHAPTER XIII. The Lotteries And Their Bewilderments.
- Nicholas Rex.—“Lucky” Banquets
- CHAPTER XIV. The Laws Against Gaming In Various Countries.
- 1. Ancient Rome
- 2. France
- 3. Prussia
- 4. Austria
- 5. Italy
- 6. Bavaria
- 7. Spain
- 8. England
1st edition 1870, 436 pages; PDF 172 pages.
word count: 85563 which is equivalent to 342 standard pages of text
Frequently bought together with:
If you find anything wrong with this product listing, perhaps the description is wrong, the author is incorrect, or it is listed in the wrong category, then please contact us. We will promptly address your feedback.