#3 in Gambling hot-list
This ebook exposes the scams and swindles used by carnival midway cheats, street gangs, road hustlers, and crooked mail-order businesses to cheat the public. Written by a Chicago police detective.
Many of these scams are still in use today. But please don't read this ebook to cheat -- instead, use it for your own protection, so you don't become the next victim.
Colorfully written, this handy guidebook ebook reveals the true-life scams, cons, swindles, ruses, devices and methods of the cheats and how they were taken down and brought to justice. Also includes descriptions of rigged carnival games. Not only is this ebook a fun read, the various adventures and nefarious activities will offer many suggestions to spice up the patter in your magic routine or gambling lecture.
1st edition ~1915, PDF 37 pages.word count: 11568 which is equivalent to 46 standard pages of text
- PART I. CONFIDENCE GAMES
- The Confidence Man
- The "King of Conmen" Quits Chicago
- Capt. Colleran Moves In
- The Woolen Mills Gang
- Suits Sold for Advertising Purposes Gag
- The Tivoli Game
- The Goose-Neck Swindle
- The "Rocky Mountain" Dice Game
- The "Lock Game"
- The "Steamboat Explosion" Ruse
- The Envelope Game
- The Three Shell Game
- The "Short Change" Scam
- A Word to the Reader
- PART II. TRICKS OF THE COUNTRY FAIR FAKERS
- The Faker Sets Up Shop
- Tricks of the Cane Rack
- The Knife Board a Good "Graft"
- Wheel of Fortune
- Strike It Rich
- Red, White and Blue Box
- PART III. FLEECING INVALIDS AND CRIPPLES
- The Letter Writing at Home Graft
- Case File: Took Roulette Wheel and Cash
- PART IV. WOOLDRIDGE'S "NEVER FAIL" SYSTEM
- System for Defeating the Grafter
- About the Author
- Thank You
- Recommended Titles