This is a classic in sleight-of-hand magic. From the foreword:
This BOOK is mainly on the art of sleight-of-hand and it is my earnest hope that these pages will afford practical help to both the specialist and the amateur magician.
During the period of over twenty-five years of practical magic I have formed the conclusion that in all conjuring, no matter how cleanly a trick may have been worked, it is the effect that counts.
A magical effect that one desires to "get over" must be definite and surprising. By definite I mean an easily followed plot or routine. By surprising I mean that a climax should be striven for that has not been foreseen by the audience.
- AUTHOR'S FOREWORD
- CHAPTER I. SOME USEFUL CARDS SLEIGHTS I HAVE PROVED EFFECTIVE
- The Pass
- The "E.V." Colour Change
- The "E.V." Invisible Double Lift
- A New "Glide"
- A One-Hand Force
- The "Book" Return
- Two "Handy" Sleights
- Sighting the Top Cards
- A Substitute for the "In-Jog"
- CHAPTER II. CARD PROBLEMS
- Supreme Control
- The Expert Deal
- A Royal Exchange
- "Sign, Please!"
- The "Deo-Ace" Trick
- The Thirty Card Trick
- CHAPTER III. CONJURING WITH COINS
- "A Silver Collection"
- A Vanish for One or More Coins
- The Changing Coin
- CHAPTER IV. HANDKERCHIEF MAGIC
- The "Super" Sympathetic Silks
- CHAPTER V. BILLIARD BALL SLEIGHTS
- A Few Words on "Angles"
- The "Direct Palm" Vanish
- The "Throw-up" Vanish
- The "Push-in" Vanish
- An Elbow Vanish
- An Original Colour-Change
- A Continuous Ball Production
- CHAPTER VI. THIMBLE SLEIGHTS
- The Hopping Thimble
- The "Little Finger" Sleight
- A "Slow Motion" Disappearance
- A Triple Colour Change
- A Sleight with Four Thimbles
- A New and Original Thimble Holder
- CHAPTER VII. CIGARETTE AND CIGAR SLEIGHTS
- The "Closed-Fist" Vanish
- The "Pull-Out" Vanish
- The "Thumb-Pivot" Vanish
- The "Finger-Clip" Vanish
- Method of Producing a Cigarette or Cigar at the Fingertips from the Palm
- A Change-Over Palm
- Changing a Cigarette into a Cigar
- The Magnetic Cigar
- "Cigar to Money"
- The Diminishing Cigar
- CHAPTER VIII. MY ROPE TRICK
- CHAPTER IX. AN IDEA FOR SLATES
- CHAPTER X. MISCELLANEOUS MAGIC
- The Cigarette Paper Effect
- A Match Divination
- A Novel Matchbox Transposition
- A Useful "Tip"
1st edition 1937, 1st digital edition 2016, 108 pages.
word count: 27951 which is equivalent to 111 standard pages of text