Setterington offers an alternative presentation theme for a mentalist who does not want to perform like a mentalist. Rather than claim you can read minds or predict the future, you are demonstrating how people can be influenced and persuaded without them knowing or feeling influenced.
What is "Power of Persuasion"?
P.O.P. . . . is a lecture/demonstration, using simple items, which can be carried in a brief-case.
P.O.P. . . . is a fresh approach to mentalism, which blows away the cobwebs of the past, eschewing the supernatural or prenatural, making it acceptable to modern audiences.
P.O.P. . . . is based on fact, not possibilities or probabilities. The techniques used are up to date, educational, instructive and, above all - entertaining.
P.O.P. . . . is a framework into which effects, already in the possession of many magicians, may be included. Anything which has to be constructed will be found simple to make and inexpensive to purchase.
P.O.P. . . . introduces a new experience to the spectators, wherein they are led to believe that they understand the working of the demonstrations but are left entirely in the dark.
P.O.P. . . . is revealing, intriguing and compelling and the demonstrator is given credit for his apparently clever psychological subtleties.
- What is "Power of Persuasion"?
- INTRODUCTION: Demonstration No. 1
- "...FULL SHELVES MEAN MORE PURCHASES": Demonstration No. 2
- "... A GOOD PACKAGE DESIGN SHOULD HYPNOTISE": Demonstration No. 3
- "... SO MUCH TO CHOOSE FROM, THEY REQUIRE ASSISTANCE": Demonstration No. 4
- "... PLANNED PRODUCT OBSOLESCENCE": Demonstration No. 5
- "EXPLORE ... MANIPULATE ... AND SELL": Demonstration No. 6
- Explanation of Methods used in the Demonstrations
1st edition 1972, 28 pages; PDF 29 pages.
word count: 6080 which is equivalent to 24 standard pages of text